There really are few things better than great Mexican food. But once you load on the chips, cheese, beans and sour cream, you are most likely looking at a 1000+ calorie meal. We suggest ordering or making a healthy chicken tortilla soup. You get lots of the goodies that make Mexican food taste great, in a way that balances the portions.
Try this recipe out!
Healthy Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup
Total time: 40 Mins
- 4 whole wheat tortillas, cut into 1-by-2-inch strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 inch squares or strips
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 12 oz. frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably with green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/4 cup 2% milk shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Optional: 1 avocado
Per serving: 357 calories; 12 g fat ( 4 g sat , 4 g mono ); 86 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 37 g protein; 4 g fiber; 775 mg sodium; 231 mg potassium.